November 7, 2008
Nov. 3-7 Book Fair – Family Night is the 3rd and the 6th
Nov. 3 & 6 Parent Teacher Conferences
Nov. 4 Election Day
Nov. 5 Awards Assembly – 2:15pm
Nov. 12 Picture retakes
Nov. 21 Interim Reports go home
Nov. 26-28 No School-Thanksgiving Break
Dec. 5 Fourth Grade testing day
Dec. 8 Market Day pick up at North
We would like to thank all of the volunteers who helped with the Bookfair this week. We all enjoyed browsing and purchasing the books. Mrs. Kizer, Mrs. Vogel, and Mrs. Williams and their team did a great job and we appreciate all they are doing to help East. The PTA also provided the staff with a wonderful dinner during conference night. The food was wonderful!!
Thanks for everything!!
Elementary Basketball sign up:
Grade: 4th, 5th & 6th. Girls & Boys
Dates: Monday 10th. & Tuesday 11th.
Cost: $30.00/Make Check payable to UEB/Bill Moss
Fall pictures have arrived, if someone wants retakes they need to the bring back the picture before Nov. 12 for Mrs. Riley's approval for retakes -- and if they were absent or have now paid fees they can do the retakes and purchase pictures.
Reading Medals for Passing the OAT in May 2008 as third-graders: Jennifer Brown, Savannah Layne, Hunter Rogan
Lex Andrews, Seth Miller, Kodie Shear, Christopher Smith, Hayley Brandyberry, Madison Dolby, Dylan Bacon,
Tristin Williams, Cameron Osborne, Tehya Rice, Gabrial McDonald, Katie Midgley, Stormy Mossbarger, Symantha Fox
RED RIBBON WEEK
This week was Red Ribbon Week, which is Drug and Alcohol Awareness Week. Everyone received stickers, pencils, and prizes each day to remind them how to stay drug and alcohol free. Several students received other prizes from special drawings each day. There was a grand prize drawing for a book bag.
GRAND PRIZE WINNERS OF A NEW DRUG-FREE CLOCK FOR THEIR CLASSROOM:
Mrs. Jacobs and Mrs. Ropp
STUDENT COUNCIL NEWS
Student Council held their first meeting
on Monday, October 27th. The
students voted to sell Buckeye Candies prior to the
Student Council is very excited to organize a Veteranís day program for Tuesday, November 11th at 2:30. The program will include songs, flag folding, and other performances to honor our veterans.
All members are gathering ideas for service projects from their classmates. Once those ideas are gathered the council members will start to organize some of the projects to help serve the needs of our school.
In the main hallway across from the office you can see who our Student Council Representatives are for the 2008-2009 school year and why they wanted to be selected for Student Council. They are all very eager to accomplish great things for East Elementary!
The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, November 12th at 11:40.
Math Problem of the Week
The staff and students at East Elementary are trying to improve our problem solving skills. Each week we will be striving to solve a math brain teaser found under the Elementary Brain Teaser section at http://www.colstate.edu/mathcontest/. Students will be solving these problems during their math class each week but can also work on them at home. Please be advised that the website we are using does not post an answer to the weekly question but you can submit your answer online and they will respond to let you know if you answered the question correctly. We will provide the problem of the week in each newsletter but feel free to access the website during the weeks when newsletters do not go home. A new problem is posted each Monday. Happy Problem Solving!
A certain whole number is greater than 100 but less than 200. It is also 20 more when rounded to the nearest hundred than when rounded to the nearest ten. Find the largest whole number that meets these conditions.
- Students can NOT have Cell phones and other electronic devices at school.
East Elementary will sell
- In case of a school closing, please listen to your local TV or radio stations.
- If your child is going to be picked up or ride a different bus after school than he/she usually does, please send a note to school about the change or call the office before 1:00PM.
- All visitors (Parents too!) must check in at the office when they enter the school and wear a badge.
- Outdoor Recess – The weather seems to be changing quickly!! Remember to dress your children for outside recess. We will go out as long as it is not raining and the temperature is above 20 degrees. The students should have hats, coats, gloves or mittens please.
- If your child is absent from school please call the office (653-1453) before 9:00AM. You may call the night before or early in the morning and leave a message on the voice mail. This calling policy is for your child’s protection.
- There is no supervision on the playground until 8AM. Students should not be here before that time.
- The Caring Kitchen offers free tutoring! Monday through Thursday, 3:30PM - 5:30PM, give them a call at 653-8443.
- East newsletters are on the web at http://www.urbana.k12.oh.us/east/enewsletter.htm
EAST ELEMENTARY ART
By Taylor Armstrong, Mrs. McGinnis’s class
SCHOOL FEES $40.00
FEES MUST BE PAID OR SEND ANOTHER PAYMENT
TO PARTICIPATE IN THE